Tuesday, October 12, 2004

October 12

If I ruled the universe, I’d be tempted to destroy all cell phones. In fact I might get rid of computers and the Internet. I’m trying to avoid the "good old days" cliches, but the fact remains it was more fun when the pace was slower. Today the pace seems to be magnifying exponentially. But quietly.
I’m pecking this on my computer in a newsroom with a dozen or so fellow workers who are clicking out their articles. No shouting. No raised voices. Only friendly "Good mornings" and cheerful "Hi’s." The atmosphere is what you’d probably find in an efficient insurance office.
My friendships in this quiet newsroom mean a great deal to me.
But I miss the old fashioned raucous news room where the noise level resembled the Chicago Board of Trade trading pits.
Today it’s more efficient. Fewer errors. I even have a device in this machine which sends up a red underline when it thinks I have misspelled a word. Well, I won a spelling bee in the 8th grade and I’ve been a good speller ever since and I’m right more times than I’m wrong, spellcheck or not.

3 Comments:

Blogger jim said...

I'm with you on this. I would love to destroy all the cell phones and computers. And I make my living off of computers! It's just too hectic nowadays. I yearn for the simpler life myself. Even when I want to relax and watch a little tv there are 200 channels! I get a headache flipping through the channels looking for something to watch.
I carry a cell phone and pager for work. These devices are supposed to make life better but it makes life worse. You never have any alone time.
Everything is going too fast. Now, when I make instant coffee I heat the water up in the microwave in about a minute or so. I remember when you had to put the teakettle on the stove and wait for it to wistle. I don't know. Is life really better?

October 13, 2004 at 11:12 PM  
Blogger becca said...

I, too, like to be move at a slower pace. However, I find that I can decide that pace. I don't have to turn my cell phone when I don't want to and I can boil water in a kettle.

But I agree that life moves too fast. I am old enough to remember when cell phones, computers, and microwaves didn't exist. My son doesn't; he will need to learn how to slow down and appreciate life as it goes on. Who knew that would that would become a lesson to learn?

October 23, 2004 at 8:42 AM  
Blogger jim said...

It is good if one can consciously take ones foot off the accelerator. If I had that choice, I would take it. We do not always have that choice though. I have to heat the coffee up in the micro because I was paged that I have to call into an emergency call in meeting in 5 minutes concerning something that happened at work. I had just gotten home from doing 12 hours and then a new problem pops up. That is my fault for choosing my field though but I think many of us are in this trap. These things that came along with promises to help our life be easier has taken a turn and has made life much more stressful. What can you do though as you do not stop inventing things, you cannot stop progress.
I do fall into that ‘parent’ thing and tell my kids about when I was younger there were no computers or video games or cable. We had 4 channels to choose from and our remotes were our feet. In turn my dad tells me about when he was a kid, all he had was radio, and he walked to school 3 miles in 3 ft of snow. Up hill – both ways!
His dad in turn told him about when he was a kid there was no radio and no electricity to speak of.
I can just imagine our kids now telling their children about how when they were little there were only 200 channels and the cars ran on something called gasoline but you only paid $4.00 a gallon for it.

October 24, 2004 at 4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home